CIT International, Inc.
CIT International is a non-profit membership organization whose primary purpose is to facilitate understanding, development and implementation of Crisis Intervention Team CIT Programs throughout the U.S. and in other nations worldwide in order to promote and support collaborative efforts to create and sustain more effective interactions among law enforcement, mental health care providers, individuals with mental illness, their families and communities and to reduce the stigma of mental illness.
CIT International works to accomplish this purpose by:
1. Holding the Annual CIT International Conference with local CIT partners to provide education and networking to help develop, maintain and sustain CIT programs
2. Raising public and stakeholder awareness through education and outreach,
3. Establishing and disseminating recommended standards for developing, implementing and sustaining CIT programs,
4. Providing technical assistance to communities interested in developing CIT programs,
5. Supporting research and evaluation of CIT programs to demonstrate their value for communities
CIT International supports the development and advancement of CIT programs through a defined set of Core Elements.
CIT International aspires to be a leader in promoting safe and humane responses
to those experiencing a mental health crisis
Promote community collaboration using the CIT Program to assist people living with
mental illness and/or addiction who are in crisis